Analysis of a Business Story
Learning Goal: I’m working on a business writing question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
This piece asks you to use what you’ve learned so far in class to analyze a business story of your choice. You can choose any type of story, but the only requirement about the story is that it has to be told by the company itself.
In your analysis, you will answer the following questions:
- What do you think the goal of this story is?
- Who is the audience?
- Who or what is the main character of the story?
- What features of the story build connection to the main character?
- What is the structure? What are the different parts to the story?
- What features of the story build tension?
- What is the main event?
- What about this main event is compelling? Important? Powerful?
- How does the main character change?
- What features of the story show us the “new normal”?
- What are the lessons of the story?
- And, finally and most importantly, HOW IS THIS STORY PERSUASIVE?
Criteria for the Deliverable:
Audience: Professor Getchell and your classmates
Length: 2-3 pages; single-spaced
Conventions: Persuasive Report format; direct approach, high-information headings (we’ll discuss more in class on 6/21)
Include a link or copy of the story with your final submission.
Link for story: https://www.tomford.com/about