Learning Goal: I’m working on a communications question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
For this assignment, you will critique a persuasive or informative speech.
- Review the guidelines for critically evaluating speeches given in the textbook and in the learning activities.
- View one of the following speeches: Depression is an Illness, Not a Weakness
Tyler Perry Gives | BET Awards 2019 https://youtu.be/DVjjSxpqbOo Admiral McRaven | University of Texas at Austin Class of 2014 https://youtu.be/yaQZFhrW0fU Priyanka Chopra | Full Power of Women Speech https://youtu.be/iCwKM6uB71I
- Write a three- to four-page critique, not counting the title page and the references page, of the speech you chose. It might be helpful to watch the speech you have chosen to evaluate, twice.
- Use the following checklist to guide your critique, and write your critique in paragraph form:
- Did the speaker choose a topic that was relevant and interesting to the audience, with a clear purpose?
- Did the speaker ensure that his or her topic was researched adequately?
- What in particular interested you most in this speaker and their topic?
- Did the speaker deliver an introduction that gained attention and oriented the audience?
- Was the speech clear, vivid, appropriate, well-organized, and powerful?
- Was each main point adequately supported?
- Did the speaker create a speech with personal style by asking direct questions and creating immediacy?
- Did the conclusion summarize the thesis and provide closure?
- Did the speaker use effective volume, eye contact, speech rate, pausing, and gestures?
- What recommendations, if any, would you give the speaker to improve upon their speech?
4. Do not include the questions in your response. Instead, answer the questions in paragraph form. Include an introduction at the beginning and a conclusion at the end.
5. Cite tips and concepts from the text as support for your critique.
- The use of outside resources is strongly recommended, and all papers must be cited and written in current APA format.
- When you have completed the assignment, select the “Submit Assignment” button at the top of these instructions and choose a format for submitting your assignment.