POL 110: U.S. Government
Learning Goal: I’m working on a political science writing question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
WEEK 8 ASSIGNMENT – BLOG POST ON A RECENT ARTICLE
WEEK 9 ASSIGNMENT – ACTIVITY: A POLICY YOU WOULD CHANGE
If you could change any U.S. domestic policy today, what would it be? For this activity, choose a policy you would like to change, submit a one-paragraph explanation of the policy you would like to change, and identify three references to support this policy change. This is the same policy you will use to write your Final Reflection assignment (due next week).
Step 1: Choose a domestic public policy:
- The environment
- Health care
- Social welfare
- Civil rights
- Death penalty
- Gun control
- Assisted suicide
- Affirmative action
- Minimum wage
- Drug legalization
- Hate crimes
- Capital punishment
Note: Approval for your policy is required and will be provided in the grading rubric. If your policy and/or references are not approved you will need to read the instructor feedback and provide an updated policy and/or references to be approved before submitting your final assignment.Step 2: Identify three references to support the policy change.
- Use reputable sources that support your views, illustrate the severity or urgency of the need for change, discuss current events that make you think about the seriousness of the issue, etc. Remember to review the news sources provided earlier in the course and ensure any references selected outside of that list are reliable.
- One tip for finding a reputable sources is to visit the Strayer University Online Library. You can also go directly to Strayer University’s Political Science Librarypage.
Step 3: Submit a Word document with your policy choice and one paragraph explaining why that is a policy you’d like to change and citations for your three references.
WEEK 10 ASSIGNMENT – FINAL REFLECTION
THIS ASSIGNMENT BUILDS OFF THE POLICY YOU WOULD CHANGE ACTIVITY YOU COMPLETED IN WEEK 9.
In a 2-3 page paper include the following three parts:Part 1:What is one domestic policy that you would change? Why?
- Be sure to use your approved policy and sources identified in the Policy You Would Change activity you completed in Week 9.
Part 2: From the list of branches below, choose twoand explain the procedures for changing or making a new policy for each of the two you chose.
- the legislative process
- presidential executive action
- administrative agency’s regulations
- legal system of the courts
Part 3: In what way can the public influence this proposed policy change?
- Use evidence to support your argument including statistics and/or relevant facts from your sources.
Note: This assignment requires the use of Strayer University Online Library to be sure your references meet academic standards. All sources should be cited using the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) format.